CHELSA (Climatologies at high resolution for the earth’s land surface areas) is a high resolution (30 arc sec) climate data set for the earth land surface areas currently hosted by the Swiss Federal Institute for Forest, Snow and Landscape Research WSL.
The data is described in this peer reviewed article:
Karger, D.N., Conrad, O., Böhner, J., Kawohl, T., Kreft, H., Soria-Auza, R.W., Zimmermann, N.E., Linder, H.P. & Kessler, M. (2017) Climatologies at high resolution for the earth’s land surface areas. Scientific Data 4, 170122.
- High resolution (30 arcsec, ~1 km)
- Precipitation & Temperature
- Incorporation of topoclimate (e.g. orographic rainfall & wind fields)
- Downscaled ERA-interim model
- Allows calculation of derived parameters based on monthly values such as length of dry periods etc.
Version 1.2 online